Re: spin_count and cpu usage

From: Stephane Faroult <sfaroult_at_roughsea.com>
Date: Mon, 04 Sep 2006 09:42:32 +0200

Alex,

   I am afraid you have missed the "feng shui" part (which made me broadly smile) from Tim's answer. In plain English, playing with this type of parameter is very dangerous; I doubt that the Oracle support often recommends to do it (unless they are very desperate). It affects all your Oracle system and nobody can predict what the result will be. If you have latching issues (and you didn't say you had any), you will get much better results trying to understand why your applications are having this type of problem. Sometimes the solution is as simple as changing a job schedule. If you have big performance problems, look at the code that is running first.

Hope that helps

Stéphane Faroult
RoughSea Ltd