Re: spin_count and cpu usage

From: amonte <ax.mount_at_gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 4 Sep 2006 09:28:33 +0200

Hi Tim

Thanks very much foor the reply.

Since spin_count is just a numbe rof loops, if we have a faster CPU shouldnt we increase the value? I mean running 2000 loops in a 3GHZ CPU is definitely not the same as running in a 500MHz CPU. In fact i recall, Guy Harrison wrote a latch related paper mentioning that since 2000 for spin_count has been used since Oracle 7, that is 10 - 13 years ago a higher value for modern CPU wouldnt surprise.

Regarding the CPU usage, if with 8 500MHz CPU I consume 30000 seconds CPU in 1 hour, if I replace those with 1GHZ CPU would I reduce my CPU time/usage to half?

TIA Alex