Re: recovery hangs with multiple channels using VERITAS.

From: BN <bnsarma_at_gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 28 Aug 2006 10:15:00 -0400

Greetings

You need to monitor at v$session_wait , you should look at

db_file_direct_io_count
large_pool_size string
db_block_size integer
tape_asynch_io
backup_tape_io_slaves
dbwr_io_slaves integer
disk_asynch_io boolean
db_writer_processes
disk_asynch_io boolean

Default Tape Block size ????

Oracle 9i RMAN has lot information on tuning these.

you should also play with filesperset

HTH Regards
BN

On 8/28/06, Syed Jaffar Hussain <sjaffarhussain_at_gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi List,
>
> I am really facing a very tough situation since three days.
> Our datawarehouse db, oracle 9i (9205, 1.6TB) on HP-SUPERDOME got
> crashed due to the filesystem corrupt. Unfortunately, all the redo
> groups lost and I am left with only full restore from the last valid
> backup and open database with resetlog option.
> Backup has taken using VERITAS NETWORK MANAGER utility through rman,
> allocating 10 channels.
> While restoring the complete database, using VERITAS manager,
> allocating 10 channels, giving nighmares. When allocating 10 channels
> for recovery, only 7 of the session getting active state and the rest
> waiting for TAPE. The problem is that when one of the 7 sessions,
> finishes restoring the datafile, other active sessions, just hangs and
> stop at 96% completion.
> Its really strange why one channel finishes restore, other are just
> hanging and not doing further restoration.
> I have tried using single channel, but, the kb per second for this was
> just 5m, and I am afraid, it this is the case, its take ages to finish
> the 1.6TB restoration.
> Do any one had faced this kind of session?
> Your valuable advice on this would be greatly appreicated.
>

> --
> Best Regards,
> Syed Jaffar Hussain
> 8i,9i & 10g OCP DBA
> Banque Saudi Fransi,
> Saudi Arabia
>
> I blog at :http://jaffardba.blogspot.com/
> http://www.oracle.com/technology/community/oracle_ace/ace1.html#hussain

> "Winners don't do different things. They do things differently."

Regards & Thanks
BN