recovery hangs with multiple channels using VERITAS.

From: Syed Jaffar Hussain <sjaffarhussain_at_gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 28 Aug 2006 10:35:34 +0300

Hi List,

I am really facing a very tough situation since three days. Our datawarehouse db, oracle 9i (9205, 1.6TB) on HP-SUPERDOME got crashed due to the filesystem corrupt. Unfortunately, all the redo groups lost and I am left with only full restore from the last valid backup and open database with resetlog option. Backup has taken using VERITAS NETWORK MANAGER utility through rman, allocating 10 channels.
While restoring the complete database, using VERITAS manager, allocating 10 channels, giving nighmares. When allocating 10 channels for recovery, only 7 of the session getting active state and the rest waiting for TAPE. The problem is that when one of the 7 sessions, finishes restoring the datafile, other active sessions, just hangs and stop at 96% completion.
Its really strange why one channel finishes restore, other are just hanging and not doing further restoration. I have tried using single channel, but, the kb per second for this was just 5m, and I am afraid, it this is the case, its take ages to finish the 1.6TB restoration.
Do any one had faced this kind of session? Your valuable advice on this would be greatly appreicated.

--
Best Regards,
Syed Jaffar Hussain

I blog at :http://jaffardba.blogspot.com/
http://www.oracle.com/technology/community/oracle_ace/ace1.html#hussain
"Winners don't do different things. They do things differently."