RE: 64-Bit Oracle on Windows 2003

From: Allen, Brandon <Brandon.Allen_at_OneNeck.com>
Date: Wed, 16 Aug 2006 16:06:45 -0700

Hi Donald, I haven't been following this thread so please forgive me if I'm repeating something that's already been said, but you should be aware that migrating from 32-bit to 64-bit alone (all other variables remaining the same) can be expected to actually degrade performance slightly. The benefit of migrating to 64-bit only comes from the fact that you can now easily access much more RAM. So, if you determine that your application would benefit from more RAM, then the migration to 64-bit will be helpful assuming you also allocate more memory to your instance. On the other hand, if your application is CPU bound or bottlenecked by something else (e.g. locking, network communication, etc.), then moving to 64-bit and allocating more RAM isn't going to help at all.

Regards,
Brandon

From: oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org
[mailto:oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org] On Behalf Of Freeman, Donald Sent: Wednesday, August 16, 2006 1:48 PM To: oracle-l_at_freelists.org
Subject: RE: 64-Bit Oracle on Windows 2003

I find your testimonial to be quite helpful even though it's not a Windows box. This is what I was looking for.