RE: Inheriting a "interesting" recovery process

From: Jesse, Rich <Rich.Jesse_at_qg.com>
Date: Fri, 4 Aug 2006 12:40:42 -0500

Which is precisely why I break this OFA rule and name every Oracle DB file with a ".dbf" extension. It eliminates the confusion of the dual meaning of the term "log" for the archived logs, making it a simple rule to let the SAs know that ".dbf" files are important don't-touch-without-asking Oracle files. Even before taking my first Oracle DBA class the ".log" naming jumped out at me.

As I've said before, I do like the vast majority of the structure of OFA, but this and having the datafile mountpoint under ORACLE_BASE (or is it ORACLE_HOME?) are two that I think are asking for trouble.

Rich