Re: Inheriting a "interesting" recovery process

From: Rodd Holman <Rodd.Holman_at_gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 04 Aug 2006 11:25:52 -0500

Here's a different situation for you:
1.5TB Data warehouse. Loads are the only transaction activity on the db. These happen once a day every night. Disk system is EMC Symetrix/DMX on fibre channel. It is quicker and easier to do a shutdown and BCV split once a week than to maintain the db in ARCHIVELOG mode. We can recover a from a BCV split and run loads quicker than applying logs back to the db. Also don't have the space issue of logs then. Not running arch process either. (Yes the BCV cut is taken to tape after it's made -- we're not nuts yet).