Re: Inheriting a "interesting" recovery process

From: Niall Litchfield <niall.litchfield_at_gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 4 Aug 2006 16:22:21 +0100

On 8/4/06, stephen booth <stephenbooth.uk_at_gmail.com> wrote:

> On 04/08/06, Jared Still <jkstill_at_gmail.com> wrote:
> > On 8/4/06, Guerra, Abraham J <AGUERRA_at_amfam.com> wrote:
> >

> > > Your very best friends are: 'Cold Backup' (hot whenever you can't do
> > > colds) and make sure your database is in archivelog mode if you want
> > > full recovery...
> >

> > Please explain why a cold backup is necessary.
> >

> Clearly you have never heard a system administrator utter the phrase:
> "But, they were only logfiles. We needed to clear some space."
> coupled with "We don't backup logs."
>
> With a cold backup you *know* that you can get the database back in a
> working state, even if some sysadmin has gone nuts and earned
> themselves a place in a large body of water encased in chicken wire
> with some heavy weights for company.

With a hot backup you also *know* that you can get the database back. There is no difference. Now if you are going to suggest that after sysadmins delete part or all of a backup to save space then you have problems, well obviously I agree. The same however surely applies to cold backups as well.

--
Niall Litchfield
Oracle DBA