Reading ODBC result set via Oracle View/Table

From: Arun Santhanam <afxdll_at_hotmail.com>
Date: Thu, 20 Jul 2006 23:18:25 -0700

Hello,

I'm a newbie to Oracle heterogeneous services. I'm trying to create an Oracle relational view (or table) for the data available from the Siebel Analytics server (SAS) query's result set by executing pass through sql. SAS reads from files and multiple other databases to provide the result set.

The query sent to SAS has its own properitary syntax and is not SQL. so, I'm trying to achieve something like this :

create view analytics_wrapper_view as
select * from
<
dbms_hs_passthrough('my custom sql understood by SAS') dbms_hs_passthrough.fetch_rows

>@SASServer

basically, read SAS generated data through an Oracle view across a db link I would create to the SAS server (not sure if this is possible but I think it should be).

Cant use a function selecting from dual as there could be several rows returned from this operation. If I retain it as a view, I can avoid data duplication. If this is not possible, a table approach could be considered.

Any thoughts or inputs on this would be highly appreciated.