Logical Standby Questions

From: Mark Strickland <strickland.mark_at_gmail.com>
Date: Sat, 15 Jul 2006 11:11:44 -0700

10.1.0.3 RAC with Data Guard on Solaris 9.

Last week, we added columns to a couple of tables in Production and set the column values to zero. All applications had been shut down. No other DML was possible. When that DDL and DML reached the logical standby it caused a major hairball in the standby. I've opened an SR of course and done my due diligence by searching Metalink and Google and the docs. Not coming up with any answers. SQL Apply continued to fail after encountering failed updates to one of the tables that got a new column. SQL Apply kept failing even if I restarted it with "skip failed transaction". Finally, last night, I set that table to be skipped and restarted SQL Apply and after a few more hiccups with other tables and a few more restarts, SQL Apply caught up with the primary which was 400 logs ahead by end of day yesterday. I now need to re-instantiate the table that was skipped. I'm testing the process in a 10.1.0.5 test environment and, when I issue

   DBMS_LOGSTDBY.INSTANTIATE_TABLE, I get

ORA-31631: privileges are requiried
ORA-06512: at "SYS.DBMS_LOGSTDBY", line 392
ORA-06512: at line 1

I traced the session and didn't find a clear explanation in the trace file. I did grant LOGSTDBY_ADMINISTRATOR to the schema owner and even granted DBA and SYSDBA to the account. Has anyone encountered a problem with INSTANTIATE_TABLE?

Regards,
Mark Strickland
Next Online Technologies
Seattle, WA