Re: querying x$ tables can cause DB to hang?

From: Mark Strickland <strickland.mark_at_gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 7 Jul 2006 09:22:02 -0700

Recently, I attempted a query against x$ksmsp in a non-Production database. The query ran for an hour and held the shared pool latch. Couldn't login to the database from another session. Oracle Support had sent me this query to try to identify shared pool fragmentation and they assured me that there would be no issues with running the query. I knew better. Glad I didn't try it in Production.

Mark Strickland
Next Online Technologies
Seattle, WA