RE: Tracing multi-tier apps

From: Mercadante, Thomas F \(LABOR\) <Thomas.Mercadante_at_labor.state.ny.us>
Date: Wed, 5 Jul 2006 11:24:55 -0400

Michael,

One simple way to trace connection issues is to review the listener.log file. I normally have logging to this file turned off. But if you are having connection issues, then turning this on and then parsing the log file might be a first step to see if the connect request even gets to your server. This would help diagnose network issues.

Secondly, look at logging all connections to the database. I have a simple schema in all of our databases that gets populated by a database trigger. Every database connection is caught and a record is created in this table. Info I catch is server where the connection is coming from, program name, os user, oracle user and data/time of the connection.

These are simple first-step debugging tools to see if a connection is being made.

Hope these help.

Tom

This transmission may contain confidential, proprietary, or privileged information which is intended solely for use by the individual or entity to whom it is addressed. If you are not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any disclosure, dissemination, copying or distribution of this transmission or its attachments is strictly prohibited. In addition, unauthorized access to this transmission may violate federal or State law, including the Electronic Communications Privacy Act of 1985. If you have received this transmission in error, please notify the sender immediately by return e-mail and delete the transmission and its attachments.