RE: full-scan vs index for "small" tables

From: Laimutis Nedzinskas <Laimutis.Nedzinskas_at_landsbanki.is>
Date: Wed, 28 Jun 2006 09:47:19 -0000

>On Behalf Of Nigel Thomas
>To be fair, the sentence continues (my bold, from 10gR1):
>"...a full table scan might be cheaper than an index range scan"
>or by implication it might not. Or they could be the same. Or England
could win the World Cup. Or whatever. Looks like they've got all the angles covered there then.

And surely I am lost. What are the best practices for SQL programmer in the modern post_Rule_Based_Optimizer Oracle then?

P.S. Just wandering: is there a hint to *disable* statistics at statement or session level? I mean, let CBO use *defaults* making it kind of rule based actually.

Thank you in advance,
Laimis N.

Fyrirvari/Disclaimer
http://www.landsbanki.is/disclaimer