Re: full-scan vs index for "small" tables

From: Connor McDonald <mcdonald.connor_at_gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 28 Jun 2006 21:10:53 +0800

Interestingly, with reference to:

"Spinning in memory is relatively rare and can be constructed with
Connor McDonald's sinister "hit ratio adjusting tool" but I didn't see to many of it in real life."

In my experience, its all too common... in particular queries to dual - heaps and heaps of

select user from dual
select sysdate from dual
select <sequence>.nextval from dual
select <simple expression> from dual

dual...dual....dual....dual....dual.....aarrrggghhh!

closely followed by:

select <description>
from <generic_application_wide_reference_lookup_table> where domain = ...
and surrogate_key = ...

--
Connor McDonald

"Semper in excremento, sole profundum qui variat"