RE: ORA-01555: snapshot too old: rollback segment number 24 with name "_SYSSMU24$" too small

From: Wittenmyer Joel - CO <WITTENMYERJ_at_tusc.com>
Date: Tue, 27 Jun 2006 15:01:48 -0500

This sounds similar to a known bug with ASSM tablespaces. The stats job updates tables in SYSAUX. Those tables have indexes and up to 10.2.0.2 if an instance does massive DML (which the stats job does in our case. Terabyte oltp with daily data loads and many schemas) on segments in an ASSM tablespace that has indexes, the undo is unbelievable. In our case it produces 10x the undo / redo it normally would. It can cause not only ora-1555, but you can blow out the max extents (32767) for an undo segment. The 'workaround' of coalescing the indexes prior to running such DML is only minimally effective. The backport patch for previous versions in some cases flat doesn't work (I know from experience.) The only sure fix is to upgrade to 10.2.0.2, which I am told definitely fixes the issue, and which I am preparing to do on several production instances even thought I HATE applying the latest patchset (hornet's nest). Of course, if you are already on 10.2.0.2 and are seeing this, please let me know!