Re: move db from one server to another server

From: Jurijs Velikanovs <j.velikanovs_at_gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 22 Jun 2006 18:38:18 +0100

Hi Joe,

It may be my English but I can't understood what do you mean by saying:
> No upgrade in place, etc...

> The first server is Solaris 8 sparc with oracle 9.2.0.5.0, the second, or
> new server will be Solaris 10 sparc with oracle 10.2.0.1.0

In one hand you sad you are not going to upgrade any thing In the other you are saying you would like to move DB from 9.2 Sol 8 to 10.2 Sol 10.
To me this move looks like upgrade of database and OS, isn't it?

II. Would you like to move a whole database or just part of it? III. Would you like to move it permanently (just ones) or you will need to refresh the data time to time in future?

In case you would like just move DB to another server and make DB version upgrade then I would recommend to make one change at the time: I ether: upgrade db to 10.2 on your old server then move it to new server. II ether: move 9.2 db to new server (startup db and make sure that you completed that step), then upgrade db to 10.2 whatever.

You can try to combine two steps, but you wouldn't know in case of problems the root of those.

BTW: If your old server is 32 bit and new one is 64 bits you will need to execute additional steps described in Metalink or Upgrade docs.

PS: As rightly has been said previously. You do not need to do endian converting in that case.

Yury

On 6/21/06, Joe Smith <joe_dba_at_hotmail.com> wrote:
> I want to move a db from one server to another. I basically have to do it
> this way. No upgrade in place, etc...
>
> The first server is Solaris 8 sparc with oracle 9.2.0.5.0, the second, or
> new server will be Solaris 10 sparc with oracle 10.2.0.1.0
>
> Can I use a combination of transportable tablespaces with converting the
> datafiles with endian format?
>
> thanks.

Yury
+44 7738 013090 (GMT)