RE: ** ordered use_nl question

From: Wolfgang Breitling <breitliw_at_centrexcc.com>
Date: Mon, 19 Jun 2006 12:03:15 -0700

The syntax is still not right. Read the documentation (as I did): No comma in the list within the use_nl hint. Also, according to the documentation, the table (s) listed in the hint "is the name or alias of a table to be used as the inner table of a nested loops join". I know that a list is legal, I just don't know what that is supposed to mean in terms of being the inner table in an NL join. I always use a single alias in the use_nl hint, except I hardly use such hints at all. If the selectivity of the predicate used to select the driving table in the current plan, maybe a better approach would be to collect a histogram so that the optimizer "knows" that.

Quoting A Joshi <ajoshi977_at_yahoo.com>:

> Allen,
> Yes. I am giving /*+ ordered use_nl in the query.
> I did not type properly in the e-mail below. so it is
>
> /*+ ordered use_nl(a,b,c,d) index(a emp_id) */
>
> Sorry. And thanks for your help.
>

> "Allen, Brandon" <Brandon.Allen_at_OneNeck.com> wrote:
> That syntax doesn't look right to me - I think it should be "ordered
> use_nl(a,b,c,d)" (not ordered_nl)

regards

Wolfgang Breitling
Oracle 7,8,8i,9i OCP DBA