RE: Miserable Disks

From: Matthew Zito <mzito_at_gridapp.com>
Date: Sun, 4 Jun 2006 01:45:56 -0400

The way the Clariion handles its write cache is that a certain amount of the first set of disks (maybe a a gig each of the first 6-ish drives? I don't remember) are reserved as destage areas for the write cache. There's a battery backup system for just those drives (more practically, the first disk enclosure) and the SPs, such that you don't need to have an enormous battery system for potentially hundreds of disks (a la the symmetrix). The write cache is internally mirrored to handle RAM failures. Upon power failure, the Clariion SP will destage the pending write cache to the stage area on the disks that are being battery backed (in a few different places). Once the power is restored to the array, it will move the outstanding writes from the stage areas to the real data areas on disk.

Now, the real question is: is there a secondary battery to keep the RAM powered in the event of a catastrophic power outage? My guess is no, but I don't remember for sure.

Regardless, a graceful powerdown of a clariion should result in an orderly cache destage as part of the powerdown cycle. Even one done a little incorrectly shouldn't cause a loss of data. It might be safer to disabe the write cache pre-powerdown, but it sounds like an edge case or a bug you hit.

The problem with all cache systems is that they're complicated. Cache can hide a multitude of sins, and consequently there's a lot of logic built in to heavily optimize, making them likely sources of bugs.

Thanks,
Matt

--
Matthew Zito