RE: Moving Oracle server from HPUX/Solaris to AIX

From: Jesse, Rich <Rich.Jesse_at_qg.com>
Date: Thu, 11 May 2006 15:34:07 -0500

I was concerned more about the instruction sets being different and if Oracle took advantage of those differences. If, for hypothetical example, the POWER5 had a "WTF" instruction that the PowerPC 970MP didn't, and Oracle compiled the AIX objects/libraries on a POWER5, would it still work on the 970MP processors?

Pricing for us is much more attractive on the blades apparently (5-figure difference I believe), since we'll need to duplicate the servers for DataGuarding. The JS21 does have micro-partitioning and it supports 4 cores (wouldn't want that on a dual core blade, would you? I don't get the partial CPU thing as it relates to us). My SA is trying to convince me to run the app and DB on one blade. I'm not convinced just yet, even after seeing a technical presentation by a top IBM analyst, but that's just me. We'd also probably spring for dual 4GB fibre, seeing as this would be slapped on an SVC. Not sure about the cost for this. I'm also painfully aware of our upgrade limitations, as we'll most likely be starting off with a maxed-out blade. Since we're not going to license RAC, I'm not too sure how we'll fare with that if we were to go with the JS21 route.

Thanks!
Rich