Log_archive_format in 10.2

From: Mladen Gogala <gogala_at_sbcglobal.net>
Date: Sun, 07 May 2006 04:19:31 -0400

Oracle doesn't allow me to change log_archive_format to something sensible:

SQL> startup
ORA-19905: log_archive_format must contain %s, %t and %r SQL>
$ oerr ora 19905
19905, 00000, "log_archive_format must contain %%s, %%t and %%r"

// *Cause: log_archive_format is missing a mandatory format element.

// Starting with Oracle 10i, archived log file names must contain each
// of the elements %s(sequence), %t(thread), and %r(resetlogs id) to
// ensure that all archived log file names are unique.
// *Action: Add the missing format elements to log_archive_format. $

I have a small database, used mainly for learning and trying things out. I have neither RAC database nor DataGuard configuration. Why do I have to have ugly names like this:

$ ls /data/orabck/arch
arch1_34_586480813.arch arch1_35_586480813.arch $

I'm not interested in the thread information, as I have only one (no RAC). I'm also not interested in "resetlogs reincarnation" as I am not running data guard. Now, what is the purpose of having different possibilities, if we cannot chose among them? Of course, reference manual doesn't say anything about those format elements being mandatory, that is probably to trick the enemy? I must say that I'm less and less thrilled by Oracle's outsourcing to Elbonia. Software looks as if it was written by bearded little men living in waist deep mud and wearing funny hats. If anyone from the Oracle Corp. is reading this, please send my regards to the PHB who came up with such a bright ide. It's little things like that that annoy me to no end.

--
Mladen Gogala
http://www.mgogala.com