RE: Log_archive_format in 10.2

From: Ric Van Dyke <ric.van.dyke_at_hotsos.com>
Date: Sun, 7 May 2006 07:36:49 -0500

I don't work for Oracle any more but when I did I had a lot of dealings with the Data Guard group. And I do know that they were pushing to get the archive log names to have these format items in the names. The problem was that customers would start out just as you are, "it's just a little single instance thingy" then as time would go by this thingy would become production, then someone would add DG and or RAC to the configuration and presto! all kinds of problems would arise because they had written scripts and such that assumed a rather simple archive format.

This may or may not be the reason behind this change, I suppose even the RAC folks may have added in there ideas as well. There is a huge push in Oracle land to have the "defaults" be more intelligent, as in; a default value is more likely to be a good value in more cases rather then not. Of course picking the right default is still quite a challenge.

Ric Van Dyke
Hotsos Enterprises
Cell 248-705-0624

Hotsos Symposium March 4-8, 2007. Be there.