Re: Data loading from production to development

From: Thomas Day <tomday2_at_gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 4 May 2006 11:17:53 -0400

It sounds as if you have configuration management issues as well as development environment issues. However, we don't live in a perfect world. If management is not willing or able to address their greater needs and insisits that you make the current system work (as if it wasn't their fault that it doesn't work now) then you have to bite the bullet.

Dynamic SQL is probably not the answer. While it might be easier to administer, it would run serially and probably not fit your maintenance window.

One possibilty is to make your development tables materialized views of production. You'd have to set up refresh groups so that foriegn key constraints would not be violated and you'd have to maintain the views has development mutated but it would probably work with your maintenance window.

You hae my sympathy. Getting developers to understand the non-goodness of their brilliant ideas is very difficult.