Data loading from production to development

From: Dennis Williams <oracledba.williams_at_gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 4 May 2006 08:54:24 -0500

 Onkar,

I would start by talking with the development manager about how they do development. I feel the best practice is to clone production back to development so you get an exact clone. In theory, the developers are creating stuff that will be implemented on production. Therefore they should have scripts that can be applied to production, or a clone of production. If they have made changes and aren't certain what changes they have made, that doesn't bode well for a smooth implementation.

   I feel this development process goes most smoothly when the DBA can discuss the development process at the beginning of the project and get agreement on what types of data refreshes, etc. will be needed. Especially if they have naive ideas about "daily data refreshes" or something.

   I would start by trying to understand what they are doing. That said, you may be backed in a corner here. There are tools that can compare schemas and help you identify differences. Past that you may just have to slog through the best way you can. Sounds like you are considering using export/import to move the data. Fortunately that doesn't require the production database to be down. Past that you may be looking at some complicated scheme of materialized views.

   And let me guess . . . they want you to have this up and automated by tomorrow so you can attend to the next crisis -- right?

Dennis Williams