Re: DBD::Oracle and Pythian Remote DBA

From: Jared Still <jkstill_at_gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 3 May 2006 07:26:51 -0700

Mladen,

Like any open source project, this one is driven by folks contributing what they think is useful, and have the time and skill to develop.

eg. I think they accept patches. :)

FWIW, the DBD::Oracle module has been significantly cleaned up since Pythian started maintaining it.

The compiles are cleaner, and the tests work more consistently.

Jared

On 5/2/06, Mladen Gogala <gogala_at_sbcglobal.net> wrote:

> Pythian group has recently taken over the maintenance of DBD::Oracle,
> the principal means of connecting to Oracle from Perl. This driver has
> some weak points and shortcomings which are severely restricting its use
> and drastically decreasing its usefulness. I consider those shortcoming
> to be the following:
>
> 1) Lack of support for array interface.
> 2) Lack of support for direct loading.
> 3) Inability to map collective types (VARRAY and PL/SQL tables) and,
> therefore, to support bulk selects.
> 4) Lack of support for transparent application fail-over.
>
> As I've said before, Pythian Group took over maintenance. I have one
> question:
>
> Do you plan to address any of those weaknesses and if you do, can you give
> any
> timetable? There are many interesting articles on your website, but none
> about
> DBD::Oracle. I've already asked that question, but received no response.
> Please,
> can you be so kind and inform poor users like me about the future of
> DBD::Oracle?
>

> --
> Mladen Gogala
> http://www.mgogala.com