DBD::Oracle and Pythian Remote DBA

From: Mladen Gogala <gogala_at_sbcglobal.net>
Date: Wed, 03 May 2006 00:24:53 -0400

Pythian group has recently taken over the maintenance of DBD::Oracle, the principal means of connecting to Oracle from Perl. This driver has some weak points and shortcomings which are severely restricting its use and drastically decreasing its usefulness. I consider those shortcoming to be the following:

  1. Lack of support for array interface.
  2. Lack of support for direct loading.
  3. Inability to map collective types (VARRAY and PL/SQL tables) and, therefore, to support bulk selects.
  4. Lack of support for transparent application fail-over.

As I've said before, Pythian Group took over maintenance. I have one question:

Do you plan to address any of those weaknesses and if you do, can you give any timetable? There are many interesting articles on your website, but none about DBD::Oracle. I've already asked that question, but received no response. Please, can you be so kind and inform poor users like me about the future of DBD::Oracle?

--

Mladen Gogala
http://www.mgogala.com

--