RE: Unix Command

From: Fenstermacher, Robert <Robert_Fenstermacher_at_cable.comcast.com>
Date: Thu, 20 Apr 2006 21:44:47 -0600

This is both an oracle and O/S 'issue'.

In unix, when you delete a file, the filename is removed from the directory, but the space is only freed up when all other processes that had that file open have closed the file.

So, until the file's 'use count' goes to zero, the O/S cannot physically remove the file and the space that it occupies.

So, in effect, until SMON, DBWR, etc gets around to closing the file descriptor for those datafiles, the space will not be physically freed up. In my experience on Solaris and HP/UX, this typically takes hours for this to occur.

If you can't wait for hours for the space, and you can't bounce the instance, then do as someone else already pointed out:

	drop all of the objects in the tablespace
	shrink the datafiles down as much as you can (down to a meg or so)
	then drop the tablespace including contents and datafiles.