RE: Unix Command

From: Herring Dave - dherri <Dave.Herring_at_acxiom.com>
Date: Thu, 20 Apr 2006 22:52:03 -0500

I find that frequently, when I drop a tablespace, the datafiles at the OS level are still held opened by dbsnmp user - intelligent agent (under 9i, at least). I believe its related to one of the monitoring jobs I have running out of OEM, as after about 15 minutes these processes release their hold. A restart of the agent also releases their hold.

I'm pretty paranoid about removing files, so after dropping a tablespace, I run a UNIX script which compares files found within Oracle OFA directories for the given database and those found within the database. Any at the UNIX level and not in the database are potentials for removal. I feel alot safer having this list come back to me when it matches that of the datafiles for the tablespace I just dropped. I then run an "fuser" against each datafile before I remove it. Once all datafiles come back as having no associated PIDs, I remove them.

HTH Dave

Dave Herring, DBA
Acxiom Corporation
3333 Finley
Downers Grove, IL 60515
wk: 630.944.4762
<mailto:dherri_at_acxiom.com>

"When I come home from work and see those little noses pressed against the windowpane, then I know I am a success" - Paul Faulkner