Re: Lookup/Code table as hot block

From: Terry Sutton <terrysutton_at_usa.net>
Date: Wed, 19 Apr 2006 14:22:52 -0700

Ranko,

First, is the hot block causing a problem? If so, is the problem buffer busy waits? If you're getting buffer busy waits, making it an IOT may make the problem worse.

Small is relative, but if it truly one hot block (i.e., the whole table is in one block), you probably want it to spread it out over several blocks. To do this, make your pctfree higher (e.g., 80 or 90 or 98). Then the contention isn't focused on one block. But be careful in doing this for a table where you're going to look at multiple rows in a query, or you may just increase the logical reads excessively.

--Terry

  Hi List,
  I have couple of thousand of users all accessing the same, very small lookup table.   This is hot block in database cache.
  How can I avoid this ? Multiple table copies ? How to do this - all users connect under single name .

  --
  Regards,
  Ranko Mosic

--