Re: Lookup/Code table as hot block

From: Stephane Faroult <sfaroult_at_roughsea.com>
Date: Wed, 19 Apr 2006 23:18:45 +0200

Ranko,

I can only echo Jay's question. In particular, one thing that matters is whether this table is accessed through complex joins or through a lookup function.
One way to have multiple copies (assuming that you don't have zillion of concurrent users and that memory isn't a major issue) is to have a PL/SQL array as a package variable, and to load this table (it depends of course on what you mean by 'small', but for a few hundred lines it is likely to be OK) into the initialization section of your package. You will have one copy per session.
PL/SQL arrays are not necessarily indexed by binary integers, you can use them as associative memory (e.g. my_array('old_code') := 'new_code';) it can be quite helpful for small lookup tables.

HTH Stéphane Faroult