Re: want to stop analyze once the database is stable

From: Jared Still <jkstill_at_gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 3 Apr 2006 14:40:43 -0800

On 4/2/06, zhu chao <zhuchao_at_gmail.com> wrote:

> Thanks, Chris for your valuable inputs!
> Yes, we are using 2 percent analyze now. It is bad, maybe. We might
> need to adjust it to some higher value, The constriant is, the tables
> are huge and 10 percent sometimes never finish, or fail with 1555.
> But maybe those huge table are rarely analyzed, as it will be a very
> long time for those huge tables to grow another 5 percent in size. I
> do need to audit which tables are analyzed at each time.

Investigate the use of BLOCK_SAMPLE with dbms_stats.

It can make a significant difference in the amount of time that it takes to analyze. 10% is probably too much if you have large tables.

Consider testing with estimate_percent=>1, block_sample=>true

block_sample may generate statistics you don't like. It is dependant on data distrubution in the table.

HTH

--
Jared Still