Re: want to stop analyze once the database is stable

From: zhu chao <zhuchao_at_gmail.com>
Date: Sun, 2 Apr 2006 07:12:18 -0700

Thanks, Chris for your valuable inputs!
Yes, we are using 2 percent analyze now. It is bad, maybe. We might need to adjust it to some higher value, The constriant is, the tables are huge and 10 percent sometimes never finish, or fail with 1555. But maybe those huge table are rarely analyzed, as it will be a very long time for those huge tables to grow another 5 percent in size. I do need to audit which tables are analyzed at each time.

You are right, I am also afraid of this, max-value typically comes with columns populated from sysdate. And new added partition got no statistics. We do add partition yearly.

I think we either use stored outline to fix the plan, or stop analyze. There are some huge join like 5-6, even 10-15 tables join in the application and it is impossible to dig into and see why plan got changed after analyze, I am afraid even with compute statistics, CBO can still choose wrong plan.

Thx very much

--
Regards
Zhu Chao