RE: ZERO Database Downtime???

From: Jeremiah Wilton <jeremiah_at_ora-600.net>
Date: Wed, 29 Mar 2006 12:30:24 -0800

Kevin Closson <kevinc_at_polyserve.com> wrote:

> But, in the end, "Rolling Upgrade" is a reserved word and
> cannot/does not apply to applying a patch in a rolling fashion.
> Two different things.

I agree. The assertion that "RAC supports rolling upgrades" is intentionally misleading. "Rolling Upgrade" is *Oracle's* term for opatching one OH at a time, not mine, as per the docs.

http://download-west.oracle.com/docs/cd/B19306_01/server.102/b14238/intro.ht m#i1008722

They really scrape the bottom of the barrel in terms of what they are willing to call a rolling upgrade. I suppose another approach would be for the DBA to wait for another company to upgrade, quit his present job and apply at the upgraded company.

--
Jeremiah Wilton
ORA-600 Consulting