RE: ZERO Database Downtime???

From: <oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org>
Date: Wed, 29 Mar 2006 12:07:52 -0800

You don't want 1 of anything. We coach our customers to have 2 shared oracle homes. Now on an 8 or 10 node cluster, that is a nice managability improvement. Use TNS_ADMIN to have a central shared directory for SQL Net and you can flip-flop back and forth between the 2 shareable Oracle Homes.

When you want to patch up, do so on one Oracle home and start cutting instances over to the patched Oracle Home. Very simple. much better than 10 Oracle Homes.

But, in the end, "Rolling Upgrade" is a reserved word and cannot/does not apply to applying a patch in a rolling fashion. Two different things.