Please help designing partitioning free project

From: Juan Carlos Reyes Pacheco <juancarlosreyesp_at_gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 29 Mar 2006 09:28:02 -0400

Hi, I had decided to start a free project to desging partitioning, this is always free not open source.

I think the concept is too simple
And I askyou please to pointme some mistake or improvement in the design

The idea is to create a partitioning package, for a simple good reason, you don't
have this feature on standard edition, and hoenstly to setup a simple partitioning,
is more simple that it seems.

Obviously this is not the same as using partitioning from Oracle

This are only the first two ideas I had now.

1)
The first design idea is the following, this is not for a high load tables

  1. You have a temporary table where you insert the data.
  2. You have a table that structures the data by ranges, this is table name, lower range, upper range.

The idea is
1. you insret to a temporary table
2. you call a functoin that moves IN ONE STATEMENT, the data from temporary tables, to the partitioned tables 3. you have a function table, to get data when you query, the function table helps you to query only the tables in the range of you query

For global indexes, you can create a table storing tablename, value (or hashvalue), which are indexed.

2)
The second idea could be to create a view, with an instead trigger, with a similar functionality
I was thinking about the idea this view could call a function table, setting the values for the query in package variables.

Problems:
-The insertion is done in two steps, I'm going to check how works on
10g partitioned views, and if using istead of trigger I could avoid this additional step.

-The way to query is different, you don't simple set a where, you have
to set it specifically

Any comment? :)
Thank you
--