Re: Testing Refresh Procedure

From: hitender chugh <chughhk_at_hotmail.com>
Date: Wed, 22 Mar 2006 17:15:53 -0500

I am using 9i.

From:  "LiShan Cheng" <exriscer@gmail.com>
To:  chughhk@hotmail.com
CC:  danielwfink@yahoo.com, oracle-l@freelists.org
Subject:  Re: Testing Refresh Procedure
Date:  Wed, 22 Mar 2006 23:06:36 +0100

hi

if you are using 10g try data pump, it is much more flexible than traditional exp/imp

if you have time you can even code your own data pump using the API provided

On 3/22/06, hitender chugh <chughhk@hotmail.com> wrote:

My requirements is also similar where I have to refresh the lower regions (databases - development,system,acceptance etc.) from production data but not the functions,procedures,packages etc. very frequently. I use exp, and imp data after disabling triggers,fk constraints and truncating tables.

Is there any better procedure?

Can this RMAN technique work if tablespaces, datafiles are named differently than Production's?

Moreover the objects in tablespaces in lower region might be different(more or less in number) than in Production. How do you handle that? Like in Lower region we might have a new table in a tablespace but which is not there in Prodcution.

CAn any body provide some guidance whether Oracle streams can be used for the refresh procedure? Can the Oracle streams be scheduled as nightly job and can be switched on or off at will? Like if it can be scheduled as night job say on Monday night for database A can this be rescheduled to run on Tuesday night for the database.

Thanks

From:  Daniel Fink <danielwfink@yahoo.com>

To:  oracle-l@freelists.org

Date:  Wed, 22 Mar 2006 13:19:04 -0800 (PST)

Make a sign and hang it above your monitor so you see it every day

"The job of the dba is not to back up the database, but to recover the database." (To paraphrase Tim Gorman)

"Coleman, Kelley (HAC)" <Kelley.Coleman@va.gov>
wrote:

It's backed up nightly, fulls on Sundays, incrementals the rest of the week.  I have not tested the backups, it's always been one of those "I really need to do that one of these days…" type activities. Given the suggestions from this group, I will be pursuing the RMAN approach to refreshing the lower DBs.