Java prepared statements

From: Baumgartel, Paul <paul.baumgartel_at_credit-suisse.com>
Date: Tue, 21 Mar 2006 18:24:33 -0000

For you Java experts, a question:

I am asking a developer to replace multiple (hundreds of thousands!) statements using literals with a single statement using binds. This, I gather, is the purpose of a Java "prepared statement". The developer tells me that an external program calls this Java utility, which would create the prepared statement each time it's called, bind the variables, and execute (it's a simple delete from ...where column = value).

Will this result in a single SQL statement in the shared pool, hard parsed only once? Will it be soft parsed each time it's created? If so, that should achieve the desired result of reducing hard parses (this database suffers from very several library cache/shared pool latch contention). Is there a way to go even further and eliminate soft parsing, too?

9iR2 on Solaris, Oracle JDBC driver.

Thanks,

Paul Baumgartel
paul.baumgartel_at_credit-suisse.com