RE: mysql to oracle

From: Johnson, George <GJohnson_at_GAM.COM>
Date: Fri, 17 Mar 2006 08:38:52 -0000

        You won't create an Oracle database from a mysql dump file, Oracle DB's are very complex to setup compared to MySQL. You might be able to take mysql dump file and build a schema from it, the SQL code is essentially the same at a basic level. A warning, if you think you can simply take mysql application code and insert it into Oracle and run with it with no consideration for the design of either type of database, you will potentially crate a ticking DB time-bomb!

        I don't know what experience you have of Oracle so apologies in advance if this seems obvious, but if you are new to Oracle I would suggest you familiarise yourself with basic schema concepts and how to get external data in and out of Oracle, all covered in the Oracle Concepts manual (available for free from otn.oracle.com).

        Rgds