RE: Oracle XPATH question

From: <oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org>
Date: Thu, 16 Mar 2006 23:25:27 +0100

Alan

>I've tried adding:
>, extractvalue(value(x),'position()')
>to my select statement, but I get an Oracle error:
>ORA-31012: Given XPATH expression not supported. I'm on Oracle 10.1.0.4
>
>So it seems that Oracle understands what I'm trying to do, it just
>doesn't support it. Is there another way to get the sequence of the /SI
>node I am currently processing?

I sympathize with your problem. Unfortunately I don't know how to do that. It's simply so that some functions are only supported for test purposes. In Metalink Note 301709.1 you find the following text:

"Using the XPATH function name() to return the element name is not possible, because the methods extract() and extractValue() currently only support XPATH operations returning a node-set."

If you find a good solution, please, let me know.

Regards,
Chris

PS: 3 years ago I posted a very similar answer... (see http://forums.oracle.com/forums/thread.jspa?messageID=406376&#406376) eventually in 3 years I'll know how to do it.