Re: symlinks/OUI

From: Hemant K Chitale <hkchital_at_singnet.com.sg>
Date: Thu, 16 Mar 2006 10:12:31 +0800

Which part of "/opt/app/oracle/product/9.2.0/lib/stubs" is a symlink ?

I have used symlinks for ORACLE_BASE, ORACLE_HOME and even $ORACLE_HOME/lib , $ORACLE_HOME/javavm and $ORACLE_HOME/starterdb {not sure if I've moved $ORACLE_HOME/bin}

In my opinion, Oracle not working with symlinks is an urban legend, even propagated by MetaLink. A symlink is managed by the Unix filesystem. "oracle" is only a user trying to access a file through the symlink.

The places where you can have issues are tar/cpio/cp -r commands which follow symlinks and copy the whole directories.

Oracle itself uses links.

$ORACLE_HOME/JRE is a link to the OUI jre which I put under $ORACLE_BASE
$ORACLE_HOME/bin/runInstaller is a link to to the runInstaller under
$ORACLE_BASE/oui

At 03:42 AM Thursday, Ray Stell wrote:
>I discovered I had a corrupted oraInventory. I was not able to install
>or delete software. Somewhere in the discussion with ora support the
>analyst said, "OUI doesn't handle symlinks well," suggesting that my
>use of a symlink to oracle_home may have caused the corruption.
>
>I did find things like this in oraInventory/logs/oraInstallxxx.err:
>
>Ignoring Exception during
>de-installoracle.sysman.oii.oiil.OiilDeinstallException:
> Unable to delete file /opt/app/oracle/product/9.2.0/lib/stubs/libc.so
>
>and sure enough, this directory structure here is a symlink."
>
>Is this documented?
>--
>http://www.freelists.org/webpage/oracle-l

Hemant K Chitale