RE: Solid state disks for Oracle?

From: Kevin Closson <kevinc_at_polyserve.com>
Date: Mon, 13 Mar 2006 08:01:04 -0800

>>>May you explain me why a SSD cannot be divided in several LUNs?
>>>Do you have some link explaining this limit?

that is a good question, Fabrizio. The limit is the number of luns many of these devices are limmited to. Some are limited to presenting 16 LUNS (some as few as 4). Regardless of the limit, the model is not suited to provisioning a large number of servers.
Each LUN would have to be masked and access zoned. Also, there is an issue with LUN to Port mapping internally. If you have an 8 port device and wish to provision out, say, 16 LUNS for 16 servers, how does that look ?

Contrast that to serving up NFS exports.