Re: ** rman to disk on remote/another server

From: Dennis Williams <oracledba.williams_at_gmail.com>
Date: Sun, 12 Mar 2006 08:55:58 -0600

A,

I'm guessing your concern of rcp vs. mounting it is one of synchronicity, not security.

I'm guessing you are writing RMAN backup to disk rather than using an MML.

I'm confident that RMAN won't use rcp. All RMAN knows is to write to a file, and by remotely mounting the file, you are essentially "fooling" RMAN.

You could do it the way you are today, and have a daemon script that watches for rman files and moves them when they appear. You would have to figure out when RMAN is finished with a file so you don't copy it prematurely. On a recovery it would be your responsibility to restore the file to its original location be cause that is where RMAN will be expecting it. But if the remote server is down, then RMAN wouldn't be affected, just the daemon process would fail.

As always, it is helpful if you tell us what you are trying to accomplish. Are you wanting to save space on the server or is your backup tape mechanism on the other server?

Dennis Williams