Re: Primary Key seems to be harmful for performance

From: <genegurevich_at_discoverfinancial.com>
Date: Thu, 9 Mar 2006 13:55:33 -0600

We are currently on version 9204. And yeah, I'am very very happy with Cognos ... NOT!

thank you

Gene Gurevich
Oracle Engineering
224-405-4079

             Nuno Souto
             <dbvision_at_iinet.n
             et.au>                                                     To
             Sent by:                  oracle-l_at_freelists.org
             oracle-l-bounce_at_f                                          cc
             reelists.org
                                                                   Subject
                                       Re: Primary Key seems to be harmful
             03/09/2006 09:31          for performance
             AM

             Please respond to
             dbvision_at_iinet.ne
                   t.au

genegurevich_at_discoverfinancial.com said,on my timestamp of 10/03/2006 1:12 AM:

> disabled a PK on one of the tables. I can't modify the SQL in any way
> because it is generated by
> a reporting tool (Cognos) it won't add hints or +0 etc.

Don't you just love that? :(

> What I was mostly wondering is whether this situation (PK createing a
> performance degradation) is a symptom of
> some other problem which I need to look at.

I don't think so, abstracting any "undocumented features". Like Kevin said, stored outlines might be of help here? And if it's 10g, we're supposed to be able to hint a statement directly in the cache, without need of the source. Or at least that's what the white papers would have one believe.

--
Cheers
Nuno Souto