ASM disk groups

From: Tim Onions <att755_at_hotmail.com>
Date: Tue, 07 Mar 2006 17:46:47 +0000

Dear All

Management have committed to getting a new EMC DMX3 top of the range SAN. We will be running a Linux RHEL4 10gR2 RAC database against it. We are some months away from go live so have lots of testing and such to do. However EMC are asking for the disk layout detalis now, and reading Oracle/EMC docs they say all we need is 2 ASM disk groups. The trouble is one will be 1.2Tb and contain all our datafiles (system, temp UNDO included) and that don't feel right. Changes to the EMC configuration will be expensive and impact other SAN usage if done later on.

Does anyone have any practical experience on ASM on a SAN and are thus able to comment on whether Oracle docs are right in saying place all this data in a single disk group? Any good reasons for not opting for a more traditional split?

TIA Tim Onions

The new MSN Search Toolbar now includes Desktop search! http://toolbar.msn.co.uk/