Re: Number of threads is twice the number of sessions with 10.2 on Windows platform

From: Paolo Desalvo <paolo.desalvo_at_gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 24 Feb 2006 09:29:39 -0500

Hi all,

I'm glad that so many people can reproduce that, I've also opened a TAR with Oracle Support but they say they can't reproduce it.

Anyway, I know that enabling DCD will fire a watchdog thread in previous release (10.1 backward) but in my test DCD is disabled, and Giovanni's test confirm it.

Maybe there's something wrong with the DCD and the watchdog thread is fired whatever the sqlnet.expire_time is set.

But the most important point is: how much virtual memory are consuming those additional threads?
What are they doing, if something?
On a 32bit Windows box, with a 2GB limit of addressable memory, we can have no more than 170-180 users connected before the VM reaches 2GB, so I'm wondering how much VM those threads are eating.

I will try to figure out with more tests today but I don't have any MS Development Suite (Visual something) that could identify and measure the threads of ORACLE.EXE.

I'll post any reasonable information coming from Oracle Support. Thanks to everyone, I appreciated all suggestions.

Paolo