Re: Flush UNDOTBS?

From: Mladen Gogala <gogala_at_sbcglobal.net>
Date: Tue, 07 Feb 2006 00:14:32 -0500

On 02/06/2006 10:10:01 PM, J. Dex wrote:
> How can the UNDOTBS be flushed so that it isn't used?
> I've got a database where there aren't any processes running, no users are
> using it but UNDOTBS appears to be 50% used. I thought it was maybe just a
> high water mark except that as soon as I kick off an import it looks like it
> starts filling from the 50% used and going up from there.
> I have also bounced the database and it still appears to be 50% used.

Dex, what is your problem? What problem are you trying to solve? I could recommend some things, like using fdisk or dd-ing /dev/zero into the files comprising the undo tablespace, but that would make some people jealous and would probably start hating me. Before I dispense advice like that, let's try with few basic questions:
1) Er, what's up doc? What are you trying to do and why do you think

   that "flushing UNDOTBS" would solve your problem? 2) Are you aware that something has allocated that space and, even if you

   do, by some miracle, manage to "flush the UNDOTBS", without destroying    your database, that something is likely to do allocate it again? 3) Are you aware that UNDO tablespace usually contains information vital

   for performing recovery and that, if you don't do it right, stand a    good chance to destroy your database? 4) Have you read "Expert Oracle Database Architecture" or "Effective Oracle by Design"?

   Both books are very good. There seems to be some confusion about what is used    space and how does the space get liberated (converted from used to free)?

--
Mladen Gogala
http://www.mgogala.com