Re: Disable logging in tablespace vs using hidden parameter _disable_logging

From: Jurijs Velikanovs <j.velikanovs_at_gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 3 Feb 2006 11:37:49 +0000

> That is correct, and that is why the only way
> the _disable_logging feature affects things is
> by not doing the final write from buffer to file.
For some cases event that bit can be significant I believe. During some upgrades, implementations, transitions phases then disk IO is bottle neck for particular process disabling logging can speed up thinks tremendously.

Of course gentleman who sad that if an application code written efficiently enough than disabling logging have little help. But we not all ways have power on application code.

J.

On 2/3/06, Jonathan Lewis <jonathan_at_jlcomp.demon.co.uk> wrote:

> That is correct, and that is why the only way
> the _disable_logging feature affects things is
> by not doing the final write from buffer to file.
>
> It does introduce the interesting question of
> how the forward change vectors for global
> temporary tables are "avoided".
>

> Regards
>
> Jonathan Lewis

> The Co-operative Oracle Users' FAQ
>
> http://www.jlcomp.demon.co.uk/cbo_book/ind_book.html
> Cost Based Oracle: Fundamentals
>
> http://www.jlcomp.demon.co.uk/appearances.html
> Public Appearances - schedule updated 10th Jan 2006

Jurijs
+44 7738 013090 (GMT)
http://otn.oracle.com/ocm/jvelikanovs.html