RE: standby and Oracle licensing

From: Carel-Jan Engel <cjpengel.dbalert_at_xs4all.nl>
Date: Wed, 01 Feb 2006 00:13:25 +0100

Cluster isn't necessarily RAC.

At the site of one of my customers we run happily SE, on Linux and Polyserve Matrix Server with the Oracle HA kit. The customer runs its app. as an ASP. They have appr. 70 companies (some of them worldwide) using this app. embedded in their recruitment sites. The old Alpha server couldn't cope with the load any more. Now we have just some Intel boxes running, connected to a SAN. Every clusternode sees the same storage. Every node runs two instances (everything is pretty much standardized. With one schema per customer you get a hell of a lot of child cursors when all sessions frequently use the same SQL, but for another schema. 2 instances with 20 schemas run better than 1 instance with 40 schemas). When a node fails, another node will start an instance for the same database, usually within 40 seconds. The HA kit takes care of that. And the service is available again...... The failover time might even beat brown-out periods and other management tasks RAC has to deal with upon failover. You know, RAC might save the session, but if it takes more than, say, 90 seconds, a lot of apps I know of would have quit already because of a timeout. One can state that the instance was there all the time. It was not responding, but hey who cares, that's not part of the SLA. Yes, a node might have to deal with 3 or 4 instances. But there is no problem. The nodes can handle that easily. If not, we will just add another node as a warm standby. If we need that, it is because the license sales are going well. We can afford an extra node by then.

No need for EE. Smallish boxes with SE will do the job. Scalable. When they sell more licenses, we'll just introduce a new box, some instances, maybe even some disks.
And, BTW, it performs like a dream.

Yes, it's a cluster. No, it isn't RAC. It's not very complex. It's not very expensive. I like it.

We still have a DR-site with another node. 4 instances, the old vanilla hot standby solution with archive log shipping. That thing is licensed as well. 2 CPU's, one SE license for the node.

Best regards,

Carel-Jan Engel

===
If you think education is expensive, try ignorance. (Derek Bok) ===