RE: Data Migration

From: Carel-Jan Engel <cjpengel.dbalert_at_xs4all.nl>
Date: Thu, 26 Jan 2006 23:18:02 +0100

No backup plan for 400 GB of data? The stuff in this database can hardly be of any use for your customer.
I don not use backup plans. I do use restore plans, however. Being able to restore the data, that's the whole point. Preferrably within the time constraints of the business. The only thing a backup serves is enabling you to meet the restore requirements. Planning restores, that's the important thing.

You seem to include a platform change as well. The backup wouldn't be very useful in that case.
What Oracle version are we talking? 10gR2 gives you some features of transportable tablespaces combined with datapump. You can transfer tablespaces then.

Otherwise you have two options: Quests SharePlex, or indeed, export/import. (If bandwith is no problem, you have a third option. A database link can be used to copy the data. The time-framed approach would be the same as the export/import description below) With careful planning, the latter option doesn't necessarily require much downtime. It depends, on the way your datamodel is designed. If you have large amounts of time-related data, you can probably export the historical data first, by partial exports. At the final cutover you export the most recent rows, import them at the new platform, enable all constraints and go on.

Best regards,

Carel-Jan Engel

===
If you think education is expensive, try ignorance. (Derek Bok) ===