Re: Multiple data files per tablespace--benefit?

From: Joseph Amalraj <joseph_at_amalrajinc.com>
Date: 2006-01-05 16:45:38

The only one benefit I heard, that restores are faster for when the datafile size is \ smaller.

"Murching, Bob" wrote: Traditionally I've used multiple data files for large \ tablespaces. Manageability benefits aside, when using traditional filesystems, \ performance on all sorts of operations (typically parallelized) has been much better if I \ had separate data files on separate disk devices.   Yesterday I did some benchmarking using ASM instead of a filesystem, and letting ASM \ stripe across disk groups. I saw no advantage whatsoever in having multiple datafiles. \ In fact, for parallel bulk operations (nologging bulk inserts, full scans, etc.) \ performance degraded quite a bit.
  Just wanted to confirm, before making any wholesale changes, that from a performance \ perspective it is reasonable to have single, large data files in an ASM world?   Bob Received on Thu Jan 05 2006 - 16:45:38 CST