Re: LAN N/w thruput, Basic Qs - Off-Topic

From: Thomas Fox <belvdr_at_yahoo.com>
Date: 2005-12-24 07:05:45

I wouldn't group DHCP and link settings in the same basket, but that's another story. One cannot say "nail everything at the appropriate speeds" and leave it at that.

In my example, the new DL380 and DL580 servers we purchased were only getting about 1MB - 2MB/sec file transfer rate (FTP, NetBIOS, etc) when nailed. I tried various settings before finding that setting both the switch and server to auto allowed me to get the full potential of the network available. However, the older models obtained optimum performance by being nailed.

I've found that if autonegotiation gets you the best performance, no problems will arise from using it. Of course, upgrading firmware on the NIC or the switch should be tested for any possible issues that may arise.

So each case is different. You can't blanket configuration settings like that, or it will come back to haunt you.

--Tom

Yahoo! for Good - Make a difference this year. http://brand.yahoo.com/cybergivingweek2005/